IT jobs constitute some of the most technically challenging and complex tasks within a company. IT roles have a particular focus, from analysing data to inform decision-making to developing the software that runs a website or application. With IT professionals specialising in their expertise, it is crucial to identify the roles and responsibilities when developing job descriptions to ensure you attract suitable candidates.
Here we look at the roles of different IT jobs to help you create an effective job advert.
A Business Analyst is typically degree-educated and leverages conceptual thinking and technical skills to create business processes and areas of development.
Business Analyst roles and responsibilities:
- Evaluating business processes for weaknesses and implementing solutions
- Developing business optimisation strategies
- Performing requirement analysis and presenting findings
- Providing leadership-down training and coaching
- Conducting user-performance testing
- Managing projects and monitoring performance
View a complete Business Analyst Job Description here.
A Data Analyst typically has a computer science degree or accreditation and should have high-level comprehension of data processes and methodologies.
Data Analyst roles and responsibilities:
- Creating, deleting, and updating master data
- Providing quality assurance and commissioning imported data
- Designing and managing the reporting environment, including metadata, security, and data sources
- Providing strategic decision-making assistance on new systems and software
- Evaluating changes and proving analysis across multiple systems
- Performing end-user dashboard training
View a complete Data Analyst Job Description here.
With a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, maths, or economics, a Data Scientist provides insights to help companies improve competitiveness and growth.
Data Scientist roles and responsibilities:
- Developing data-driven strategies to enable growth
- Developing and testing algorithms and data models
- Mining and analysing data
- Coordinating functional teams to influence product development
View a complete Data Scientist Job Description here.
Chief Technology Officers hold a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering. They are tasked with aligning technological strategies with the business’s goals.
Chief Technology Officer roles and responsibilities:
- Managing internal IT operations
- Aligning technological strategies with business objectives
- Evaluating new systems and quality assurance processes
- Presenting technical plans to stakeholders, partners, and senior management
- Overseeing timeframes and budgets
- Making executive-level decisions
View a complete Chief Technology Officer (CTO) Job Description here.
Software Developers should have extensive programming expertise and an understanding of software life cycles and full-stack development.
Software Developer roles and responsibilities:
- Adapting software and interfaces for the company’s hardware
- Performing system design and specification identification
- Testing systems and implementing fixes
- Providing advice on adapting existing systems
- Developing software systems using mathematical and scientific models
- Coordinating with project managers and engineers
View a complete Software Developer Job Description here.
Web Developer roles and responsibilities:
- Creating software applications and websites
- Performing website updates and backing up files
- Implementing disaster recovery protocols
- Aligning code with industry standards
- Identifying issues through testing and customer feedback
- Directing website content-producing team members
- Running group workshops, conferences, and training
View a complete Web Developer Job Description here.
IT Managers should have leadership experience and a Bachelor’s degree in IT. They oversee the IT team, infrastructure, and systems.
IT Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Leading the IT team and managing computer systems
- Monitoring network security and testing
- Implementing audit systems and reporting
- Aligning IT strategies with business goals
- Bridging technical and business-side communications
- Designing information technology training programs
View a complete IT Manager Job Description here.
With a web design or visual arts degree, Web Designers should have strong user interface and graphic design skills.
Web Designer roles and responsibilities:
- Collecting client requirements and creating conducive designs
- Creating storyboard and process flows for client presentations
- Adapting designs following customer feedback
- Nurturing superior site performance
- Following industry trends
View a complete Web Designer Job Description here.
A UX Designer leverages their knowledge of programming languages and project management to produce easy-to-use services and products. Most UX Designers have an engineering or computer science degree.
UX Designer roles and responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to identify the scope of the project
- Analysing user demands to create an effective solution
- Presenting the UX to the client
- Conducting usability testing and gathering feedback
- Researching industry trends and competitor solutions
View a complete UX Designer Job Description here.
The best Solution Architects have extensive IT systems knowledge and project management experience. They oversee the software and systems through the entire development process.
Solution Architect roles and responsibilities:
- Understanding client needs and providing technological advice
- Overseeing the project through the development cycle
- Developing designs and plans to meet business strategies
- Evaluating project risks
- Coordinating timelines and budgets
- Mentoring and training colleagues
- Collaborating with project coordinators
View a complete Solution Architect Job Description here.
Scrum Masters typically have an IT-related degree and deep knowledge of Agile technologies. They streamline processes, oversee the Scrum team, and deliver projects on time.
Scrum Master roles and responsibilities:
- Leading the Scrum team and training team members
- Analysing project progress and ensuring it is brief compliant
- Presenting the final project to clients and senior managers
- Acting as the Scrum team and product owner contact point
- Researching Agile technologies
- Resolving conflicts
- Monitoring budgets and timelines
View a complete Scrum Master Job Description here.
Software Engineers plan and write computer operating systems and software programs. Top applicants will have experience in coding and the software development cycle.
Software Engineer roles and responsibilities:
- Researching and developing company-enhancing software applications
- Testing and developing existing programmes
- Training software users
- Directing the software development strategy
- Updating software and performing fixes
- Ensuring information security
View a complete Software Engineer Job Description here.
Top Analyst candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or statistics and experience delivering presentations and conducting research.
Analyst roles and responsibilities:
- Analysing data to help the business optimise its processes
- Identifying data patterns and leveraging these to reduce costs
- Creating reports and delivering presentations to senior managers
- Validating stored information
- Implementing policies and procedures to secure company data
- Establishing project budgets, timelines, and objectives
View a complete Analyst Job Description here.
Data Engineers have database experience and a degree in IT or data engineering. They build systems to collect, convert, and provide accessibility to the company’s data.
Data Engineer roles and responsibilities:
- Developing the data pipeline to improve flow
- Assembling data sets and building algorithms
- Improving data quality and efficiency
- Leveraging the Agile software development process
- Collaborating with data scientists and architects
- Developing analytical tools and programmes
View a complete Data Engineer Job Description here.
IT Technicians should be outstanding problem-solvers and have a degree in computer science or network management. They oversee the business’s hardware and software systems.
IT Technician roles and responsibilities:
- Managing computer-wide hardware and software
- Configuring networks and troubleshooting issues
- Setting up workstations and adding users and accounts
- Monitoring user-software interactions
- Conducting tests and evaluations
- Conducting disaster preparedness and backup activities
View a complete IT Technician Job Description here.
View all job descriptions here.