Discover our helpful guide to assist you in writing a comprehensive job description. We will look into not only the importance of writing a good job description, but the challenges many companies face when looking to take recruitment into their own hands.
The importance of writing a good job description
Getting a job description just right can save the company or employer a great deal of time, resources and costs by getting it done right first time. By writing a good job description, you can:
- Ensure that only the most relevant candidates apply
- Avoid paying costly fees to agencies.
The challenges of writing job descriptions
All businesses at some point will find themselves in a position where they need to write a job description for a role they know little or nothing about. Even those that are experts in their field can find it challenging to outline what they do in the format of a job description, let alone make it attractive to the type of candidate they need.
Example: You are a project manager for a small website selling clothing and apparel online. Part of the project involves the promotion of a new app, and you would like to bring an experienced digital marketer on board to help spread awareness.
However, as someone who lacks in-depth knowledge about the role, it’s hard to know just what you’re asking for.
How we help you write great job descriptions
That’s where we can help you. Simply download a free job description template from our website and continue reading for our top tips for writing a compelling job description. We have a massive library of job templates for a variety of roles and sectors from accounting and education to teaching, driving and everything in between.
Writing a job description?
We have produced a template to help you create the perfect job profile. We can also send you job descriptions, just enter the job title required and we will share.
What would you like?
More specific information on how to complete each segment can be found within each template.
Top tips for writing job descriptions
Here are 5 of our top tips to keep in mind while writing a job description.
- 2 heads are better than 1: Engage with stakeholders and employees when compiling a job description is vital as it increases the suitability of the CVs you receive. It reduces the number of interviews required to find an ideal candidate while minimising the time it takes to fill the position. Also, don’t be afraid to look at other job descriptions for inspiration!
- Sell the company: What is unique about your company? Why should people want to work for you? Ensure you give an insight into the culture of the company, the people who work there and what it is that makes it such an enjoyable place to work.
- Be Realistic: You need to make sure that the candidate you have outlined in your description actually exists. Don’t ask for 6 years of experience working with tools, software & programming language that’s only 4 years old. It just makes you look like you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Keep it as simple as possible: Language is so important. Even those that are talented at what they do can be baffled by businesses and jargon. But don’t make it too simple. There will be certain areas where you would expect them to know without having to break everything down.
- Use keywords appropriately – Don’t flood your job description with keywords, yes you want it to be found, but it’s more important that it reads well.
Good candidates are hard to attract in a competitive market, so you want to give your company an advantage when trying to recruit the best people. Please check out our job advertising packages call us for further assistance.
We operate on a flat fee fixed cost recruitment cost business model, that allows companies to manage recruitment directly for a substantially lower cost than seeking the assistance of an employment agency. This also means that smaller companies can compete with larger organisations.
TLDR (too long didn’t read)
- Writing accurate job descriptions help save time and money by ensuring only the best applicants apply.
- Writing job descriptions can be challenging & require external help.
- We provide a range of free job description templates for you to download, tailored to a wide variety of roles.
- Top tips to consider when writing job descriptions are:
- 2 heads are better than 1
- Sell the company
- Be realistic
- Keep it as simple as possible
- Use keywords appropriately
- To promote your job, choose a package from our job board advertising page.