1. Select Your Job Description
Select Your Job Description
2. Convert to a Job Advert
Convert to a Job Advert
3. Publish across our Job Boards
Publish across our job boards
Art Therapist Job Description
Art Therapists use art therapy to assist patients in exploring underlying feelings and emotional conflicts that impair their physical, cognitive, and emotional wellbeing. They teach patients how to use artwork as a means of releasing or expressing their feelings and use counselling techniques to help patients develop coping skills.
We are hiring an Art Therapist to utilise art and psychotherapeutic techniques to help patients improve their physical, cognitive, and emotional wellbeing. As Art Therapist your responsibilities will include evaluating patients’ reactions and behaviours during art therapy sessions, attending multi-disciplinary treatment team meetings, as well as ensuring that art supplies and equipment are adequately stocked. You should also be able to encourage patients to reflect on the artwork produced during art therapy sessions.
To succeed as an Art Therapist, you should keep abreast of the latest developments in art therapy to ensure that patients receive the best treatment possible. Ultimately, an exceptional Art Therapist should have a strong understanding of visual art as well as demonstrate excellent communication, analytical, and counselling skills.
Art Therapist Responsibilities:
- Consult with patients to discuss their medical histories and identify the problems or conditions they wish to overcome.
- Conduct art therapy sessions with patients using various types of visual art, including drawing, sculpting, painting, ceramics, and clay modelling.
- Discuss patients’ artworks with them to evaluate the meaning and emotions behind the artworks.
- Collaborate with other healthcare practitioners to develop or integrate personalized treatment plans.
- Develop suitable art therapy programs for patients based on their needs, objectives, and preferred forms of artistic expression.
- Teach patients coping skills and strategies to enable them to deal with challenging and traumatic experiences.
- Conduct group or family art therapy sessions as required.
- Supervise art therapy students and interns.
- Maintain detailed records of patients’ progress as well as observations made during art therapy sessions.
Art Therapist Requirements:
- Sound knowledge of visual art.
- Excellent observational and counselling skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Patient, empathetic, and creative.
- A passion for art.
- Master’s degree in Art Therapy or Counselling with additional coursework in Art Therapy.
- Certified by the Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB).