1. Select Your Job Description
Select Your Job Description
2. Convert to a Job Advert
Convert to a Job Advert
3. Publish across our Job Boards
Publish across our job boards
Astronomer Job Description
We are recruiting for an analytical Astronomer who has a strong understanding of the software, equipment and scientific and mathematical concepts necessary to collect and analyse data to further our understanding of the universe.
You will perform experiments, collect information and develop and test theories in an effort to learn more about celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and moons, and cosmic events, such as meteor showers and eclipses. We require someone who is a skilled researcher with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
To succeed you should possess the technical skills necessary to contribute to the team. You should be analytical and proficient in science and mathematics. You should also possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Performing tests, collecting, and analysing data, and using existing mathematical and scientific principles to learn more about space, planets, stars, and moons.
- Developing theories and new software and technologies to aid in the testing process.
- Writing scholarly articles based on discoveries and drafting proposals for funding.
- Working with a diverse team consisting of experts, technicians, and engineers from varying fields.
- Travelling to laboratories and observatories across the world to study celestial events and collect information using specialized equipment. Lecturing others and making presentations about current scientific knowledge and new discoveries.
- Experience conducting research.
- Strong understanding of mathematics and scientific principles.
- Experience with or working knowledge of scientific software and ground-based equipment, such as telescopes and radio dishes.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, and research skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse team.
- Willingness to work nights and travel to locations worldwide to make observations and use specialized equipment.
- Some positions may require expertise in a certain field or security clearance.
- Degree in Astronomy.