Once you have selected your Job Description download it and convert it to a Job Advert, please use as many as you require. If you wish to use the job description for a CV Template click through for advice and Convert to a CV
Bereavement Counsellor Job Description
Bereavement Counsellors are qualified healthcare professionals who provide therapy to clients grieving the death of loved ones and other personal losses. Their role is to support clients through the stages of grief and help them resume their lives. They may work at public health institutions or practice privately.
We are actively looking for a compassionate and dedicated Bereavement Counsellor to support our clients through the process of dealing with personal loss, including the death of loved ones. In this role, your duties will include planning treatment, facilitating therapy sessions, and mobilising community resources to support recovery.
To perform efficiently working as a Bereavement Counsellors you should exhibit exceptional insight into the psychology of loss and have demonstrable experience in providing bereavement therapy. Accomplished candidates perform interventions relevant to each of the stages of grief and facilitate support.
Bereavement Counsellor Responsibilities:
- Consult referrals, interviewing clients, and compiling case histories.
- Record clinical observations and updating client files.
- Determine clients’ intervention needs and developing treatment plans.
- Facilitate individual and group therapy sessions.
- Assist clients to overcome loss of loved ones and pets, as well as grief due to divorce, break-ups, and miscarriages.
- Monitor clients’ progress and adjusting treatment plans to enable them to live fulfilling lives.
- Collaborate with medical health specialists on medication needs, when required.
- Involve other professionals, community support groups, and relevant resources in recovery plans.
- Facilitate sessions with family members and caregivers to better understand the stages of grief.
- Pursue continued professional development and keeping up with advancements in the field.
Bereavement Counsellor Requirements:
- State-prescribed licensing to practice as a Grief and Bereavement Counsellor.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Bereavement Counsellor, or similar.
- Competency in electronic health record systems, such as Therabill and NextStep.
- In-depth knowledge of the psychology of loss and the stages of grief.
- Experience with co-existing physical, mental, and emotional conditions.
- Experience in collaborating with family members, healthcare professionals, and support groups in treatment.
- Ability to stay informed on developments in the field of bereavement counselling.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and recordkeeping skills.
Writing a job description?
Download our free Job Description Template to guide you through the process of creating an insightful job description. Having a detailed job description is extremely helpful to candidates when they are applying for jobs online.
Related Blog Posts
- A Case For Reinventing Job Descriptions
- Administration Job Descriptions
- Marketing Job Descriptions
- The Importance of using a job description template
- When should companies work with Flat Fee Recruitment Companies?