How to Hire a Service Writer
Once you have selected your Job Description download it or convert it to a Job Advert. From here you can post/advertise your job across our network of job boards. If you wish to use the job description for a CV Template click through for advice and Convert to a CV
Service Writer Job Description
Download this and access other HR Resources
We are recruiting for a committed Service Writer to act as the liaison between our company and our customers. Working as a Service Writer, your responsibilities will include ensuring the customer’s needs are filled, coordinating transactions between the company and the customer, and performing cost and time estimates for those transactions. The Service Writer will track repairs and the causes of problems, schedule the most appropriate Service Technician, and process the customers’ warranties.
To succeed as a Service Writer, you should possess excellent customer service and communication skills. You should also have the ability to translate customers’ non-technical descriptions and relate them in a comprehensive and thorough report to the service team.
Service Writer Responsibilities:
- Develop strong customer relationships through the successful management of products and service delivery.
- Maintain computerised customer profile information.
- Monitor customer records to check for regular scheduled servicing and future remedial work and calling the customer to arrange appointments.
- Develop cost estimates, logging needed parts and the time needed for repairs, and scheduling the most appropriate Service Technician.
- Convey all necessary information regarding costs, parts, work, and Technicians to the customers and management.
- Meet with customers to discuss their requirements and relaying those requirements to the Service Technicians.
- Contact customers in the case of additional work to relay the details and extra costs.
- Enter the details of repair jobs on the company’s network and preparing repair instructions and lists of needed replacement parts to the Service Technicians.
- Check warranties and insurance.
- Release repaired equipment to the customers and explaining the work done and costs accrued to the customers to ensure their satisfaction and repeat business.
Service Writer Requirements:
- Work experience and product knowledge may be advantageous.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of office software programs.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Strong record keeping skills.
- The ability to understand and relate technical issues to the service team from customers’ non-technical descriptions.
How to write a Service Writer Job Description
To write a job description, we recommend starting with a job description template from our job description library, which contains examples for 800+ positions and professions. Our job description examples include a job summary with duties and responsibilities and skills and requirements, which can be personalised for your job vacancy.
How to write a Service Writer job Advert
Use our job advert template to write a job advert for posting on job sites and job boards. Our job advertising templates are carefully created to help you reach your audience and beat the competition to the best talent.
Personalising Your Service Writer Job Description Advise
The hiring process and recruiting new employees to fill your key roles requires a degree of personalisation if you are to attract the best employees in a competitive employment market. The right person for a crucial role or more senior roles will likely have other employers targeting them. As your job description will be the first point of contact, you need to nail your pitch and provide the best possible service.
When creating your bespoke description and advert, you should cover and promote these points:
Job title: This should accurately reflect the role and include keywords that top talent might be using to search for jobs.
Job duties: The day to day duties, such as administrative tasks, which vary depending on the company and inform the candidate if they can complete the role.
Technical skills: These are the hard skills required through training, such as proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Soft skills: These include the interpersonal skills and general abilities the right candidates will possess. For example, the competency to prioritise multiple tasks, handle customer queries and customer complaints, work alone, or build a good relationship with coworkers.
The company’s culture: Highlighting your company culture and values ensures employees thrive and find outstanding job satisfaction. Candidates that are not the right fit won’t waste their time completing the application process, meaning you can focus on qualified individuals and hire in a more timely manner.
Career progression: Including the career path will entice candidates looking for career growth.
Training and development programs: Smaller companies may need employees with previous experience or provide educational assistance over internal training offered by larger organisations with more significant resources.
Employee benefits: Compensation and benefits often fail to appear in job ads and while you may want to hold your cards close to your chest, failing to include them is a mistake. Consider answering common questions, such as working hours and paid leave. Researching the average salary for the role in these early stages will ensure you don’t waste your interviewer’s and the candidate’s time.
Skill gaps: Your company may need to bring in new skills beyond those required to complete the key role and duties. Thinking on an organisational level can be beneficial when contemplating skills diversity.
Legal requirements: Ensure your job advert and description does not ask for inappropriate or discriminatory personal details, such as age, marital status, or religion.
Free Access to UK Recruitment Hub
Access Over 800 Documents
- Hundreds of Job Descriptions
- Job Advert Templates
- Recruitment Guides
- Job Site Directory
- Interview Guidance Manual
- Salary Benchmarking Reports
Please enter your email
Claim 20% discount code