Management roles within a company are responsible for driving success, creating unity, and developing performance. They may oversee a specific or set of projects or the organisation as a whole. Whether you need a project manager or a commercial director, well-defined roles in your job descriptions will significantly improve the odds of recruiting the best talent.
Here we look at the key roles and responsibilities across the various management positions in a typical organisation.
A Project Manager usually has a relevant Bachelor’s degree or holds a Project Management Professional certification. They manage project teams, ensuring deadlines and requirements are met.
Project Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Coordinating teams to ensure successful project outcomes
- Identifying new business opportunities
- Submitting project parameters and summarising relevant information
- Coordinating training, documentation, and user manuals
- Managing communication across team members and other departments
- Implementing and evaluating the project to determine its success
View a complete Project Manager Job Description here.
With an operations management degree, Operations Managers inspire and introduce operational policies and procedures.
Operations Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Motivating and leading the company’s teams and culture
- Making decisions to steer procedures and policies to meet long-term goals
- Collaborating with the Board of Directors to determine the business’s values and mission
- Overseeing planning, budgets, auditing, and reporting
- Liaising with stakeholders and investors
- Addressing problems and opportunities
View a complete Operations Manager Job Description here.
The responsibilities of a Product Manager include improving customer experiences through research, pricing, and product idea generation. High-calibre candidates will have a degree in computer science or engineering.
Product Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Researching and pitching new product ideas
- Developing product road maps and development timelines
- Collaborating with PR teams, marketing, and engineers
- Identifying product gaps and solutions
- Representing the company at public events
- Improving customer experiences through product strategy
View a complete Product Manager Job Description here.
Chief Operating Officers may or may not have qualifications but always have a high level of understanding of business analysis planning, business development, and performance metrics.
Chief Operating Officer roles and responsibilities:
- Providing daily management and leadership to drive organisational success
- Ensuring business efficiency and profit
- Setting standards and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Ensuring the company hits its sales targets
- Collaborating with the broader leadership team
- Building a stable workforce
View a complete Chief Operating Officer (COO) Job Description here.
With a civil engineering or similar degree, Facilities Managers ensure health and safety compliance and services for the working environment.
Facilities Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Managing building, maintenance, and vendor contracts
- Controlling parking and supervising property refurbishments
- Providing a constant security presence
- Maintaining health and safety compliance
- Managing building-wide waste disposal, communications, air conditioning, and cleaning
View a complete Facilities Manager Job Description here.
Program Manager candidates should have a relevant degree and experience with change management, performance evaluation, and program management software.
Program Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Overseeing various projects to ensure completion and a return on investment
- Organising project leads
- Supervising project teams and evaluating their progress
- Determining risk management strategies
- Allocating resources to project teams
View a complete Program Manager Job Description here.
Business Manager applicants should have a business administration or business management degree coupled with several years of management or leadership experience. They are responsible for designing strategies to achieve business growth.
Business Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Identifying new markets and areas for business growth
- Setting goals and budgets
- Hiring and training new employees
- Assessing performance and ensuring sufficient resources
- Ensuring activities are legal and compliant
View a complete Business Manager Job Description here.
The CEO provides inspirational leadership and determines the company’s direction. They usually have prior senior management experience and have an aptitude for building successful relationships with partners, executives, and the workforce.
Chief Executive Officer roles and responsibilities:
- Overseeing operations and inspiring the workforce
- Developing business planning and strategies
- Communicating the company’s vision
- Ensuring legal and regulatory compliance
- Handling stakeholder and Board of Director communications
- Maintaining market and industry awareness
View a complete Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Job Description here.
Commercial Directors have a management or business administration degree or proven experience leading teams and developing commercial success.
Commercial Director roles and responsibilities:
- Planning and implementing commercial strategies to meet business objectives
- Leveraging market knowledge to set pricing
- Providing direction for service and product innovation
- Monitoring and reporting on commercial performance and sales
- Supporting senior managers and executives
- Building relationships with stakeholders and clients
View a complete Commercial Director Job Description here.
Assistant Managers ensure a consistent management presence to lead office or retail teams. They are typically on a self-development journey, heading towards an outright management role.
Assistant Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Maintaining standards, policies, and best practices
- Scheduling staff, training, and reviews
- Motivating employees to achieve business goals
- Overseeing health and safety
- Reporting to senior managers
- Controlling stock and expenditures
View a complete Assistant Manager Job Description here.
External Manager candidates should have proven management experience or an industry-related degree. They manage employees, productivity, and standards.
Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Hiring, training, and appraising staff
- Motivating individuals to make sales or hit performance goals
- Reporting to regional or senior managers
- Ensuring the security and safety of the workplace
- Enforcing company procedures and standards
View a complete Manager Job Description here.
Supervisors lead a team, motivate its members, and ensure good work ethics. They operate as an intermediary between junior staff and senior managers.
Supervisor roles and responsibilities:
- Organising staff rotas and assigning tasks
- Maintaining customer service levels
- Training new team members and conducting performance reviews
- Providing performance expectations
- Ensuring deadlines are met
- Overseeing a safe and secure workplace
View a complete Supervisor Job Description here.
The duties of a General Manager include overseeing business operations, efficiency, and profit. They may have a business management degree or have similar work experience.
General Manager roles and responsibilities:
- Formulating and implementing sound business strategies
- Managing budgets and allocating resources
- Motivating staff to provide outstanding customer service
- Hiring and training employees
- Maintaining productivity and standards
- Analysing sales, financial, and performance data
View a complete General Manager Job Description here.
Qualified Managing Directors have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a business or marketing discipline. They have excellent leadership, negotiation, and presentation skills.
Managing Director roles and responsibilities:
- Managing corporate strategy and business workflows
- Creating plans to achieve long term business goals
- Driving recruitment and talent acquisition
- Acting as the face of the corporation and liaising with stakeholders and investors
- Overseeing financial performance, ventures, and investments
- Resolving problematic situations
View a complete Managing Director Job Description here.
The top applicants for a Director role have extensive senior management experience and understand performance and financial strategies. They coordinate business activities, build relationships, and motivate teams.
Director roles and responsibilities:
- Creating and implementing business strategies
- Overseeing and analysing financial performance
- Communicating with stakeholders and the public
- Driving business growth and talent acquisition
- Ensuring legal compliance
View a complete Director Job Description here.
A good Head Of Operations candidate will be able to work with individuals across all levels and may have a business administration degree. They oversee policies, implement business solutions, and ensure great customer service.
Head Of Operations roles and responsibilities:
- Liaising with senior executives to provide strategic advice
- Planning and monitoring daily activities
- Revising policies to ensure legal and regulatory compliance
- Evaluating business efficiency
- Supervising and coaching staff
- Reviewing customer satisfaction data
View a complete Head Of Operations Job Description here.
The duties of a Director Of Operations include setting strategic goals and ensuring all business activities are centred around these. They might have a business management degree and should have extensive legal compliance knowledge.
Director Of Operations roles and responsibilities:
- Managing the day-to-day business activities
- Liaising with teams to ensure company goals are met
- Evaluating company performance
- Hiring managers and monitoring their performance
- Reviewing operational activities and identifying opportunities
- Reporting to the board, stakeholders, and senior managers
View a complete Director Of Operations Job Description here.
View all job descriptions here.